Monday 2 March 2015

Punjabi Chhole Bhature Recipe

Chhole Bhature Recipe

Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans gravy served with Indian bread


My earliest memory of the best ever Chhole Bhature I've had is of the one at Elco in Hill Road, Bandra (W). I didn't think I would be able to make Chhole Bhature so divine and flavorful until I tasted what I made today. And hence, I felt I had to share my recipe with you. It is a mixture of my mom'straditional Chhole recipe blended with Sanjeev Kapoor's Bhature recipe and my own modifications to make it quick and tasty. So, let's get started!

For the chhole you'll need - 

Chhole (Garbanzo beans/ Chickpeas soaked overnight) - 1& 1/2 cups
Tea leaves - 1 tbsp 
Large onions - 2
Ginger paste - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
Medium sized tomatoes - 2 
Chhole masala powder (I used Everest) - 3 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Amchur powder (Dried mango powder) - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Chat masala to taste

Procedure - 

Boil the chhole with 4 cups on water, a tsp of salt and 1/3rd cup black tea in a pressure cooker. Cook for upto 6 whistles and then take it off the heat. Heat oil in a pan and add ginger paste. Then add finely chopped (or ground) onions and cook till the water content dries up. Add finely chopped (or pureed) tomatoes and cook until it all combines into a paste. Add chhole masala powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and amchur powder and cook till the aromas fill your kitchen and the mixture loses all its rawness. Add the boiled chhole along with the water it was boiled in.

Last, but not the least, adjust salt and add chat masala to taste. Garnish with chopped coriander.


For the bhature you'll need - 

Refined flour (maida) - 2 & 1/2 cups
Yogurt/ curd - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Soda Bicarbonate - a pinch
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil - for deep frying

Procedure -

Mix all the dry ingredients and pass through a sieve. Add the yogurt, baking powder and soda bicarbonate. Add sugar and salt and a little water to knead into a dough. Divide the dough into 12 equal roundels and roll into oval shaped rotis. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry each roti till they puff up and then place them on absorbent paper so that the excess oil is soaked out. Serve immediately with chhole.

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! Let me know in the comments section below, what you would like for me to cover next!

Bon Apetit!
x



No comments:

Post a Comment